Saturday, December 27, 2008
I'm very excited about the plans for the winter season. I believe we will be giving you a warm and cozy shopping experience, that will inspire you in your own home. I can't touch the shop till after the first of the year, that gives you a last chance to take in this years holiday decor, but about one week later expect changes. I will be sure to post pictures!
Photo credit to Aubrey, October 2008, Springtown Road, New Paltz, N.Y.
Friday, December 26, 2008
Sunday, December 21, 2008
Saturday, December 20, 2008
I have been teased lately on whether I really have a tree of pink ornaments in my home. I often tell people of my beloved tree, but rarely have the occasion to share it with friends. So I break my unwritten rule and I'm posting a few shots of my home.
FOUR INCH ORNAMENT
EVERY BRANCH IS PACKED
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
MY DAUGHTER'S, AUBREY AND WHITNEY
Our holiday hours begin tomorrow, we will be open every evening till 8pm, opening at 10am. So let us help you with your list...yes we will be open on Christmas Eve but only till the late afternoon. I need to get ready for Santa's arrival and so do you!
Monday, December 15, 2008
So whether it's a small gathering of friends, grandma or even your boss these blooming baskets are sure to be a lovely, thoughtful gift. Join us here at HiHo in supporting a business that gives back, while giving a present that will keep giving.
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Friday, December 12, 2008
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Every year our house is completely decorated for Christmas by the tenth of December (Whitney's Birthday) but not this year, Whit doesn't get home from school till Monday. She had asked to please wait for her arrival before the decorating begins. I am sorta spoiled, not everyone has a willing helper to do the lights on the tree. She has learned well the art of layering the tree....fluff, lights, fluff, filler, fluff, ornaments, birds, bows...view. With over twenty five years of collecting ornaments, the tree usually takes two days.
One might think with the shop so decorated for the holiday I might cut back on the home decor, however the shop feels public to me...you know none of the ornaments are attached to a memory yet.
OK... I wanted to give some tips on planning your decorating this year.
1. organize your decorations by color, they will compliment your homes decor better
2. groupings or small clusters, telling a story with items is always better than spreading the decorations everywhere
3. holiday music helps set the mood...you will get more done
4. those tacking plastic pieces from your husbands childhood tree will look better grouped on a wreath, the more the better, you can tell him they were so special you wanted to highlight them
5. there is nothing wrong with having a fake tree, just be sure to light a "Tree in the Can" candle, you don't want to miss out on the pine scent in your home for the season
6. tinsel is a must, if you don't want the mess you can always get reusable tin tinsel
7. when decorating the tree... pool a fluffy quilt under it until all the ornaments are safely hung
8. save those silly holiday drawings the kids did in grade school in the bottoms of your decoration boxes, they will get a kick out of them every year
10. don't try to get it done all in one day...remember you are suppose to be enjoying yourself
I'm sure I will think of five more things after I post this blog, but I know you understand when I say I love decorating my home. I love being surrounded by Christmas past while enjoying being in the moment of this years memories in the making.
Monday, December 8, 2008
Bryan stopped by the shop the evening of the event with Humphrey's favorite girl, Audi. Dawn, my friend from the barber shop across the street joined Everett and I in lighting 100...that's right one hundred luminaries, that lined the way for the carolers. At seven o'clock crowds of people lined the street singing in the holiday season, it's so nice to be proud of the community you live in.
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
PEOPLE OFTEN REQUEST IF THEY CAN TAKE A PICTURE OF HUMPHREY IN HIS T.V. AND WANT TO KNOW THE STORY BEHIND IT. I THOUGHT THE POST WAS WORTHY OF RE POSTING....
This winter like many people, I promised myself I would take on projects that I can’t get done other times of the year. Things slow down and I wanted to make sure tackling my office was a priority. I needed an office chair, the one I found turned out to be the inspiration for the whole room. Mid Century Modern, sorta. I knew I wanted to apply something to the wall that represented what we do here at HiHo. The home decor magazines fit perfect into the theme and the design was based on the circular pattern in the curtains.
The next exciting find for the office was this 1954 Hoffman TV, which Humphrey’s bed fit perfectly into. It looks great on top of the extra desk and he does nap in it daily. He feels very safe behind the glass.Of course my office has other important things in it, the refrigerator, time sheets but most importantly my computer where I stay in touch with you.
Remember you will always be more productive in a space that makes you happy.
Maybe you will even be able to take a nap.